Food for Thought

Time for another recipe :) Fridays are a light school day for us so I have some time to catch up on blogging and other things. Somebody please remind me that I should be cleaning the house or folding laundry.

I am still on a quest for fun/healthier/different snack ideas. I stumbled upon this recipe about a month ago and have been wanting to try it, and this week was when it finally happened.


Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Tortilla Chips (from Confessions of a Homeschooler)

Salsa*:
2 kiwis, peeled and diced
2 apples - peeled, cored and diced
8 ounces raspberries
1 pound strawberries
1/2 cantaloupe diced
1 tablespoon white sugar (I omitted this)
1 tablespoon brown sugar (may try Splenda blend next time)
3 tablespoons fruit preserves, any flavor (I used some homemade peach that my dad made)

(*For our fruit mixture, I used 1 apple, 1 banana, 1/4 of a cantaloupe, and about 2 C strawberries and it made about 2 or 3 cups of salsa.)

Tortilla Chips:
Flour tortillas (next time I will try some multi grain ones, I used flour since that's what I had)
butter or cooking spray
cinnamon sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350*. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix all fruit, white sugar, brown sugar and fruit preserves. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes. Coat one side of each flour tortilla with butter flavored cooking spray (or brush with melted butter). Cut into wedges and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle wedges with desired amount of cinnamon sugar. Bake in the preheated oven 8 to 10 minutes. Repeat with any remaining tortilla wedges. Allow to cool approximately 15 minutes. Serve with chilled fruit mixture.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I would love to try this again with some of the different fruits listed in the original recipe. I kept it simple because my girls are a little bit picky about the fruits they like. They loved the salsa even with strawberries (which they don't normally eat), so I may be able to sneak in some kiwi or other berries. Caleb will eat it however I make it - that kid is a dream to feed! Jackson really liked it, but it was a little messy for him to eat. I also overcooked the chips a little - didn't hear the timer go off but at least they weren't burnt. Thumbs up on this recipe... it is definitely a keeper!

No comments: