Food for Thought

I made these last night and had to post the recipe right away so I didn't lose track of it... homemade hamburger buns!!! I found the recipe online and if I could remember where, I would give credit (and hugs of appreciation) to whomever posted it.

Hamburger (cheeseburger for us!) Buns from Scratch

3 1/2 cups warm water
1 cup oil
3/4 cup sugar or 1/2 cup honey (I used sugar - honey is SOO expensive!)
6 T active dry yeast
1 T salt
3 eggs, beaten
10 1/2 cups white or wheat flour (I did about half and half)

Mix first 4 ingredients and let rest for 15 minutes. It should get spongy and bubbly. Add remaining ingredients. Mix, then knead for 5 minutes on floured surface. Preheat oven to 425*. Roll out to 1/2″ thick and shape immediately. (I used the top of an IKEA plastic cup to cut out regular-sized hamburger buns. You could also make child-size buns or slider buns). Let rise for 10 minutes. Bake for 10 minutes or until done.

I cut this recipe in half and still got 13 regular-sized buns. I would love to figure out a way to cut out hot dog buns - maybe just cut the dough in a rectangle shape?

We may or may not be eating these leftover with bacon on them for breakfast as I type. I am eagerly awaiting my Mother of the Year award for good nutrition. At least there is fruit on our plates, too!

No comments: