Got Milk?

Today we went on a field trip with our homeschool group to the Publix Dairy Plant, where they produce milk, sour cream, cottage cheese, yogurt, bottled water and teas, and ICE CREAM!! We learned TONS of fascinating things - for example, it takes 28,000 cows to sustain their production for just one day, and they aren't even making cheese there! And, Publix pays dairy farmers more than any other store for their milk and has stricter guidelines for the quality of milk they will accept. They test a sample of the product and if it doesn't meet their expectations, then they won't purchase it. Now, as much as I heart Publix and would do all my shopping there if I could afford to, I will probably keep buying my milk at Aldi and Sam's where it is cheaper... Three gallons a week gets pretty pricey even with the less expensive stuff and we are all surviving so far! :)

I have been waiting for years to go on a tour here - I called about it for our church playgroup (mostly preschoolers) a long time ago but they require all children to be at least 5 years old, so only Caleb and Ella got to go this time.

They wouldn't allow any pictures to be taken on the production line, don't want to give up all their secrets I suppose! I did get a couple before the tour started and some of the kids eating free ice cream after we were done. Caleb had It's Your Birthday Cake and Ella had Neapolitan. I had brought some yogurt with me and decided to eat that since neither of those flavors interested me at all, but then our tour guide pulled out the Hula Hula flavor for the moms and I quickly changed my mind. YUMMY! I don't know exactly what it was, but it had candied macademia nuts and caramel in it so I was sold! I think she gave me more than normal when she saw my big belly :)


Three flavors Publix has won awards for: Sticky Buns, Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie (I love this one) and a third that I can't remember... maybe Lemon Sugar Cookie?

Caleb making a new friend (as always).


No comments: