Food for Thought

Strawberry Romaine Salad (Mima's favorite!)
Recipe courtesy of Tricia Sinn

Salad:
Romaine and boston bibb or spring mix lettuce (I just use romaine)
1 C monterey jack cheese, shredded
1 - 2 pints of fresh strawberries, sliced
1 C sugared pecans (see below)

Dressing:
1 C oil (I use a combination of canola and olive)
3/4 C sugar (I have substituted Splenda before)
1/2 C red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 t ground white pepper (I never have this so I just use black pepper)
1/2 t paprika
1/2 t salt

Sugared Pecans:
Mix 1 egg white with 1 T water, beat until frothy. Stir in 2 - 3 C pecan halves. Pour 1 C sugar and 1 t salt (mixed together) into pecan mixture, stir, and pour onto baking sheet. Cook at 300* for 30 - 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool on waxed paper. Set aside what you need for the salad and eat the rest yourself while no one is looking (that is my special addition to the recipe).

I have served this different ways... Sometimes I will toss it all together ahead of time, but I don't like a lot of dressing on my salad and this recipe makes a LOT of dressing. I usually only make half the dressing and it is still plenty. Also, if you happen to have leftovers, it doesn't keep as well with the dressing already on it. When I made this a couple of weeks ago, I set it out like a salad bar and let everyone make their own. That seemed to work really well. Either way it is YUMMY!

No comments: