Life Lessons

I was trying to think of some way to occupy the older kids this morning before it was time for us to leave the house. I had child care duties at church today and I was trying to get a quick nap in for Lillian before we left, so I needed the house to stay somewhat quiet (good luck with that). I didn't really want to turn the tv on since I try to save their tv watching time for late afternoons after their naps (before Scott gets home) when I am trying to make dinner and give baths. I decided I would challenge them to make their beds and see what happened. They were actually excited about it when I mentioned it to them - they both immediately went into their bedroom and went to work (it isn't very often that they follow instructions on first command). I was finishing up a load of laundry, so I gave them a few minutes to work before I went in to check on them. I figured they would have lost interest right away, but when I went in their room, they were both diligently working away at making their beds. It was so sweet to see them being joyful about something that really isn't much fun - it made me realize that I need to work on that myself because it makes things a little bit more bearable for everyone involved. It's amazing to see how God works through my children to teach me little things that are so important.

No comments: