Food for Thought

 Alfredo

Marinara

I tried this recipe today for the first time.  I am planning for us to eat them during the Gator game tomorrow, but I wanted to make them ahead of time to make sure they tasted okay in case we needed an alternate plan, although how could you go wrong with cheese and pepperoni?

As usual, I made my own adjustments to the recipe (it's in my blood).  One batch had cottage cheese (ricotta would also work but it is more expensive) and marinara, the other batch had cream cheese and alfredo.  I also added bacon and green pepper - I was trying to use up what I had on hand and not buy more stuff from the grocery store.  I sprinkled extra cheese on top before baking.  These are very versatile depending on what kind of pizza you like.  Now notice I said low-carb, not low-fat!  You could use turkey pepperoni and reduced fat cheeses if that is a concern for you.  My formerly carb-addicted husband doesn't care about anything but net carbs so I used the good stuff!  You could also omit the pepperoni "crust" (I won't be doing that).

Low-Carb Pizza Bites

Ingredients:
8 oz. cream cheese 
2 eggs
1 t garlic powder
1 t oregano
1/4 c low-carb tomato or pizza sauce
1/2 c shredded mozzarella cheese, or combination mozzarella and other cheese such as parmesan
1/4 c finely minced green pepper or other pizza topping
24 slices of thin-sliced pepperoni, preferably large slices 

Heat oven to 350.  Poke the pepperoni slices into the bottoms of  mini-muffin cups.  Mix the cream cheese with a mixer until smooth and fluffy. Add eggs, garlic, and oregano, and beat until smooth.  Mix the rest of the ingredients in by hand.  Fill the muffin cups with the egg and cheese mixture.  Bake for about 15-18 minutes, or until lightly browned on top and set in center. Remove from oven and cool for a few minutes, then run a knife around them to loosen. Remove to a plate.


Makes 24 pieces (I got more out of my batches, about 36 each)

No comments: